What you’ll be doing...
Verizon Connect is guiding a connected world on the go by automating, optimizing and revolutionizing the way people, vehicles and things move through the world. Our full suite of industry-defining solutions and services put innovation, automation and connected data to work for customers and help them be safer, more efficient and more productive. With more than 3,500 dedicated employees in 15 countries, we deliver leading mobile technology platforms and solutions.
As a SaaS leader, we know our talent is the most important component to our success. We hire top talent and empower them to do their best work. As a division of Verizon, we combine the fun and excitement of a start-up environment with the resources, operational excellence, and brand recognition of an established tech giant.
You will be passionate about technology, drones, aviation, 2D mapping, 3D mapping, ideally all of the above. You are experienced as a full stack engineer in enterprise software, with a focus on geospatial applications, mapping data transformations, and mapping visualizations. As an Airspace Engineer you will implement Java services around ingest and normalization of data into PostgreSQL/PostGIS and build out front end visualization on top of airspace and other geospatial API’s. You will have experience with automatic extraction and parsing of structured and semi-structured datasets including xml, json, etc. You will work with established visualization technologies like Leaflet and D3 while participating in Skyward’s growth in three dimensional visualization of airspace and integration of rules based decision making technologies with geospatial technologies. You will participate, as part of our Agile process, in analyzing user requirements, envisioning design approaches, and grooming backlog. Particularly, you will function as a subject matter expert code contributor embedded with one or more Agile feature teams. You will take active part in the design and development of map-based user interfaces to ensure Skyward’s customers have a great experience using the Platform as they run their drone businesses around the world. You will also perform software maintenance duties including debugging and defect resolution as well as production support while continuing to extend the functionality of the platform.
- Function as a subject matter expert and mapping-tech mentor within one or more feature teams implementing new features within Skyward’s platform.
- Participate in product specifications through rapid iterative prototyping and UI simulations in code with live data.
- Use Java services (Spring Boot) and PostgreSQL/PostGIS to create scalable web services using REST/JSON or other formats (e.g. protocol buffers).
- Embrace our Scrum process, and thrive as an individual contributor in a team-based environment through cooperation on deliverables, coordination of schedules, and contribution in team planning and retrospectives.
- Use Skyward’s architectural patterns to ensure scalable, reusable, reliable implementations.
- Collaborate with platform architect and other subject matter experts and technical leaders to improve architectural patterns and reduce tech debt.
- Create testable, clean code and documentation; troubleshoot; participate in code reviews; and optimize front- and back-end performance.
- Recommend system solutions for user requirements by comparing advantages and disadvantages; provide estimates and on-going status leveraging relative sizing, velocity, burn-downs and stand-ups.
- Keep abreast of technology trends and best practices. Investigate new technologies in the space (Cesium, MapboxGL, etc.)
What we’re looking for...
You’ll need to have
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or similar
- 4+ years of full-time professional Java Development experience
- 4+ years experience with front end visualization; Leaflet, D3, etc. Math and algorithms background to solve problems in this space; matrix transformations of data sets, understanding of performance implications of geospatial algorithms, and understanding of coordinate reference systems and transforms.
- Java, web programming skills, web user interface design, software requirements, software development process, object-oriented design (OOD), software debugging
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative agile team
- Demonstrated aptitude and desire to learn new skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced team environment
- Ability to embrace change and work in an iterative development environment
- Ability to develop a deep understanding of the commercial UAS marketplace and customers’ needs.
- Familiarity with PostgreSQL, the PostGIS extension, and the full suite of geospatial transform and analysis tools within PostGIS.
- Familiarity with command line manipulation of psql to perform operations on PostgreSQL installs.
- Familiarity with GIS platforms such as QGIS and ArcGIS, for the purpose of source data analysis and troubleshooting.
- Familiarity with bash scripting to automate use of command line tools, including manipulation of bash scripts via Java applications.
- Ability to perform time-cost and complexity analysis on high-volume data processing applications.
- Ability to tweak existing computational geometry applications for better performance. Willingness to learn time-cost and complexity analysis for creating new computational geometry applications.
Even better if you have
- Experience working in a startup environment
When you join Verizon...
You’ll be doing work that matters alongside other talented people, transforming the way people, businesses and things connect with each other. Beyond powering America’s fastest and most reliable network, we’re leading the way in broadband, cloud and security solutions, Internet of Things and innovating in areas such as, video entertainment. Of course, we will offer you great pay and benefits, but we’re about more than that. Verizon is a place where you can craft your own path to greatness. Whether you think in code, words, pictures or numbers, find your future at Verizon.
Equal Employment Opportunity
We're proud to be an equal opportunity employer- and celebrate our employees' differences, regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status. Different makes us better.
Click here for more info: http://www.verizon.com/about/work/jobs/2266230-software-engineer-mapping-for-airspace
• Post ID: 26725297 portland